TOP 10 TIPS FOR PLAINTIFFS... IN ANY BUILDING LAWSUIT!!!
- Request a copy of your complete file via Freedom of Information Process at the City Clerk's Desk! If you suspect you have a "cathedral ceiling calamity" - request a complete copy of the truss package - INCLUDING THE TRUSS PLACEMENT GUIDE!
2. Request a the titles and qualifications (i.e., engineer, BCIN No., etc. of all parties with whom you have issues at the municipality and especially in the building department! Again, you can get this via Freedom of Information at your City Clerk's Desk!
3. Request a complete copy of OPERATIONAL METHODS, PROCEDURES AND POLICIES FOR THE BUILDING SERVICES DEPARTMENT AS THEY EXISTED WHEN YOUR PROBLEMS STARTED (GIVE THEM A SPECIFIC DATE) with which you find yourself at odd... again... via Freedom of Information.
4. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING... AND BE ORGANIZED (A couple of binders with tabs will save you a ton of time). THAT IS ABSOLUTELY KEY!!! Follow up meetings with emails to document conversations! TAKE A TON OF PICTURES OF YOUR BUILDING PROJECT AT ALL STAGES... AGAIN... DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!
5. KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS IN ONE PLACE... KEEP TRACK OF ALL EXPENSES AND RECORD THEM THE DAY YOU INCUR THEM (who, what, when, where, why, - including mileage, etc.).